Thursday, 1 August 2013

Malaysian Food: Murtabak Ayam

If the attached photo looks anything less than delicious, blame the photographer rather than the cook.  Which is another way of saying:  I know this strange looking brown lump does not appear tremendously appetising on first glance.  This is a Murtabak, a Murtabak Ayam (chicken) to be precise.  Kind of difficult to translate it exactly into English terms, but it's basically a chicken/omelette type of combo wrapped in some type of savoury pancake.  With combination of sauces to mix as the mood takes you.

I am no sauce expert, so can only tell you that the one on the right is rose flavour with onions, and one of the other two is probably some type of curry.  Maybe they both are, who knows.  Anyway, I really enjoy a good murtabak.  If you are not in the mood for chicken, you can also get your murtabak stuffed with kambing (lamb), daging (beef), sardin (sardine, I imagine) or campur (mixed meats).  I'm sure there are more options out there if you look hard enough, but that should get you started.  

Note that my murtabak was served in a cheap & cheerful cafe for about $2 US, but fancier versions are doubtless available in more salubrious dining establishments.


No comments:

Post a Comment