Thursday, 12 December 2013

Singapore! (I'm not crazy about it).

Reader: This blog is supposed to be about Cyberjaya - and at a push Kuala Lumpur.  So how do you justify shoe-horning in an article about Singapore, which is a completely different country, last time I checked.  Well?  Explain yourself!
Me: Singapore is right beside Malaysia.  
Reader: Thank you for explaining! Gosh, I feel silly for having asked.
Me:  No, no, that's fine, no problem.  Just please don't question me again.  NEVER. NEVER. QUESTION. ME!  

Well, I'm glad we've cleared that up.  And to be fair Singapore was once a part of Malaysia, albeit only for 2 years back in the sixties, after which time it was generally agreed to split up again and just stay friends*. 

Either way it is just a short plane trip (or rather less short train journey) away from Kuala Lumpur.  

So what do you get from a visit to this tiny city state?  Well you've got museums, temples, shrines, a big wheel, food, bars, Chinatown and a Little India.  Quite a lot, all told.  So I should probably like it rather more than I do.  It certainly has it's charms, and a couple of days isn't enough time to fairly pass judgement on a country.  I can only say that from the tourists point of views there are more appealing destinations on the planet.  


It is a reasonably large commercial city, and I haven't been able to locate the beating heart of it on my visits.  Coming from Malaysia, you aren't going to see much that is different or surprising.  The fact that it is not a Muslim country is the big difference, meaning that pork and alcohol are a lot more readily available.  It means quite a lot more than that of course, but I am talking about your brief visiting experience.  Being a brief visitor, I haven't had the chance to explore much (anything) outside the city streets, so I am sure there is plenty I've missed.  But at the same time you can fall in love with Paris or Rome on short acquaintance, whereas Singapore does not inspire feelings of romance.







* Not strictly accurate historical summing up.

No comments:

Post a Comment